A diesel engine particulate filter is one of the components that play an essential role in limiting the impact of car models on the environment. More specifically, this system is responsible for removing impurities and dirt from the exhaust gas.
But in addition to the positive impacts on the environment, DPF also creates a lot of pressure leading to reduced performance and durability when experiencing severe problems.
From this problem, the demand for filter removal increased significantly, leading to the introduction of DPF delete kit products.
In today’s article, I will show you how to use it and give you more information about this device.
What Is A DPF Delete?
It is a type of car accessory that you can insert into your vehicle’s system to disable the diesel engine particulate filter.
We often use this tool when we want to increase engine efficiency or turn off DPF when this system has problems.
Each manufacturer will integrate their delete kit with a different amount of tools, depending on the cost.
However, there will still be two devices that are certain to have an exhaust pipe and an information processor, respectively.
These devices directly manipulate the system in terms of both physical and electronic information. If you choose high-end equipment, you will have several other tools.
What Does A DPF Delete Kit Do?
The main task of the DPF delete kit is to disable and replace all operations of standard equipment.
These devices operate both physically and electronically. Their all-around impact capability eliminates any effects associated with the particulate filter within the vehicle’s total system.
The exhaust and the regulator will act differently inside the system. On the physical side, the exhaust will replace the vacant position created by the DPF after removing this part.
The tuner plays an essential role in generating new codes to fool the electronic identification of the vehicle. You can rest assured that no notifications will appear to prevent the car from starting.
How Much Does A DPF Delete Kit Cost?
On average, the fee we need to spend to own this product is as low as $3000 and as high as $10,000.
If you decide to do the replacement at home, the cost can be stable at the abovementioned level. In case we ask for the help of skilled maintenance specialists, you are required to pay another fee to pay them.
A delete kit is quite expensive compared to the many other parts found on our vehicles. However, comparing the cost of repairing or overcoming the system consequences, using a delete kit is still much cheaper.
How To Remove a DPF?
Any manipulation deep inside the system also needs us to perform carefully to be able to mitigate the unwanted effects. In addition, installing the DPF delete kit is quite complicated, even for experienced people.
For these reasons, you should carefully follow and regularly re-read the instructions I am about to list below. Following these steps correctly will save you a lot of time and effort spent on operations.
Step 1: Vehicle Diagnostic
Before starting to work, you should conduct a diagnosis to see if the car is having problems that need to be repaired.
We should continue to repair and replace steps only when warnings appear on the error reading device. Operating when the equipment is in good condition will waste a lot of time and cost.
- To perform the diagnostic steps, we need to prepare the tools in advance or go to the centers that provide this service. It will help if you choose the right model for the vehicle to get the most accurate results.
- First, you need to open the car system and find the connection ports, set up the machine, and then link the tester with the car. The first check will be to see if the DPF is blocking.
- Some errors or false messages can accidentally lock the DPF and confuse us with the component’s failure. If this is the case, you need to disable the blocking mode.
- If the problem is not with the keychain, you need to conduct a deep scan of every module on the vehicle and fix any possible errors. This action will make it easier to determine where the problem is coming from in the car.
- In the next step, we will perform an operation called “forced reconstruction” to eliminate errors on the DPF. It takes a long time to complete this procedure, about 30 minutes.
Step 2: Read The Ecu
After the first step, you will need to prepare the OBD machines if the problem is still present. Now, you will conduct operations to reload the vehicle’s controller to determine whether software or hardware is the leading cause.
- First, plug the OBD unit into the connection port on the vehicle.
- Then we need to remove the key from the car to prepare for removing the ECU. It is best to save the settings at least 3 minutes before.
- Finally, turn on the ECU and select the original file reading function.
- Don’t forget you can upload files to PCW Server but remember to check the option to delete DPF before creating the save file.
Step 3: Remove And Re-install The Exhaust Unit
If the problem is not from the software, you will need to replace both components and calibrate the system with the DPF delete kit.
Just like when we replace other car parts, the first action will be to disconnect the connections and remove the parts that stand in the way.
You need to ensure you have turned off the power to the system and unplugged all wires and sensors connected to the DPF.
Any wrong manipulation of the wires will bring enormous consequences.
Once wholly disassembled, you can put the DPF aside and proceed to connect the delete kit to the old position to replace it.
To secure the replacement part, in some cases, you will need to use heat to weld the pieces to the inside of the vehicle.
When the solder joints have cooled, we can continue reconnecting the wires and checking for wear.
Remember to be as gentle as possible with the cables and sensors, as these are incredibly susceptible to damage.
Step 4: Apply The Mod Calibration File To The Ecu
In this step, you need to connect OBD to continue working with the software system inside the car. But in contrast to the operation in the previous step, we will load the modified system files instead of deleting them this time.
The new system file will notify other departments of an impending change and re-align operations accordingly. This process is not fast, and you need to select a suitable file or don’t want to spend the effort to do it all over again.
Step 5: Check The Vehicle
The check step is equally important compared to the other efforts. You must complete the steps below to ensure the vehicle is in stable operation.
- Start the car to check the ignition and operation of the electronic components
- Let the car idle for about 15 minutes. During this time, connect the diagnostic tools again and rerun the scan to ensure there are no errors.
- Test the car after a while to let the engine warm-up and monitor the performance under regular operation.
Benefits Of DPF Delete
Increase in Horsepower
The negative pressure caused by DPF can cause blockage when the waste stream goes back in instead of going out and stagnates in the details.
After a period of use, the waste layer accumulates more and more and hinders vehicle circulation. A vehicle that cannot deliver the necessary solvents will never achieve good performance.
When the filter is removed, the motor will no longer be blocked. The change helps this part, and the vehicle gets more stable performance.
Reduces Maintenance Costs
With no more risk of clogging, you don’t have to worry about these pests creating viewing problems. The fewer problems we have, the less time we spend cleaning and repairing
Save Replacement Costs
The filter and the components that the effects of this system can damage are all critical components inside the vehicle.
The price of all the above parts is exceptionally high whether it is repair or replacement. Eliminating DPF helps us to reduce a considerable amount of costs.
According to many studies, you will be able to save up to 30 percent fuel if you use this kit regularly. This number is impressive for the movement to last longer.
Improved Fuel Mileage
The more efficient the vehicle is, the greater its fuel economy.
We have learned together about the DPF delete kit and its effects in today’s article. Hopefully, the knowledge contained in this article will help you manipulate and make better decisions.